Thursday, August 1, 2013

Meet Sammy D


You've seen her as a Flapper, a Fly Girl, a Murderer, a Meddling Courtisan and a .. Donut. 
She's our resident provider of spunk and sass!
Meet: Sammy DeSimone

Q: How long have you been involved with Rising Sun Performance Company?
A: Since 2012

Q: What is your primary role with RSP?
A: Actress--specializing in inanimate objects :)

Q: Why is RSP your artistic home?
A: A true sense of team. I come from an athletic background as well as artistic and the fact that this company stands strong with all of their members it what hooked me in the first place. Plus it's so refreshing to see artists working together and encouraging each other in this big city instead of just trying to get ahead.

Q: What was your favorite RSP Show or Role? Why?
A: This past season I had the privilege of performing in two of the one acts for Room 128. One where I got to play a twisted serial killer...and a donut. Back to back. I have to say being able to juggle those roles in one evening is probably the most I've been stretched for a show and the most fun I've ever had--plus my parents were super proud to see their sprinkle clad little girl!

Q: What are you looking forward to seeing/ experiencing with RSP?
A: More original works and more works from unpublished playwrights. There's so much material out there and unearthing those magic nuggets has been such an amazing experience.

Q: What are you excited about for Season 12?
A: I'm most excited to be returning to Henry's Wives--an original RSP piece that retells the history of Henry VIII's wives--from their perspective. Because who doesn't love re-writing history?

Q: How have you seen the ensemble, including yourself, evolve?
A: I joined this ensemble straight out of college last year--and I graduated from a program where I shared a classroom, shared a stage and occasionally shared a beer with the same twenty people. That was completely turned upside down when I was thrown headfirst into a this group of strangers but coming into this environment I have seen myself grow and evolve into a much more mature actress who is willing to take risks due to the nurturing support system of this ensemble

Q: What do you do outside of RSP?
A: I'm an avid crafter. Pinterest has got nothing on me!

Q: Favorite Memory or experience in RSP?
A: Nothing tops the rehearsal of "Welcome to the Hotel Donut" held in Central Park--in the middle of the afternoon. Let me tell you--all those people got a free show!

No comments:

Post a Comment