Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Meet JPB!


Meet:  John Patrick Bray
 
 

Q: How long have you been involved with Rising Sun Performance Company?
A: I met Akia in 2003, and David and Anna shortly after. Akia came to see GOODNIGHT LOVIN' TRAIL at Circle in the Square (downtown, as part of the Actors Studio Drama School's Rep. Season). We hit it off!  RSP then planned a night of my one-act plays which was produced in June, 2004 at the 78th Street Theatre Lab. I think we’ve been in love ever since.

Q: What is your primary role with RSP?
A: These days, I am part of the RSP’s extended family. I have previously been an ensemble member, a resident playwright, and literary manager. I also developed RSP’s Resident Writer program, which I take great pride in.

Q: Why is RSP your artistic home?
A: RSP’s greatest asset is its ability to create and sustain an artistic community. While various artists have come and gone over the years, RSP still stands as a beacon, calling to us, letting us know that we have a place where we are loved.

Q: What was your favorite RSP Show or Role? Why?
A: It’s a toss-up between HELLCAB (2005-2006) and GOODNIGHT LOVIN’ TRAIL as part of the Frigid Festival. HELLCAB was exhilarating for me. It was produced at UNDER ST. MARKS, and I remember feeling really warm under the lights. Then, we’d head out back to change our costumes. I could see in the window of a tattoo parlor. I remember standing there, shirtless, somewhere around 11 PM, in January, freezing, and being so alive. GOODNIGHT LOVIN’ TRAIL is one of my most produced one-act plays (thanks to RSP, really). RSP’s first production of the play was in 2004. I was thrilled that I could see it again in 2011 with Nic Mevoli (who was incredible in HELLCAB) reprising the role of “Mr. Coffee and Cigarettes.” I’ve watched him grow as an actor, and I’ve watched him truly become the character. That play was produced in the now defunct The Red Room, a space I have great affection for (as I do for UNDER ST. MARKS), and which I miss terribly. It's great to work with a company who's been around the city for so long.  You meet such a wide network of family artists and friends.

Q: What are you looking forward to seeing/ experiencing with RSP?
A: I'm mostly in Georgia these days, but it is my hope to attend any one of the exciting shows RSP has to offer!

Q: What are you excited about for Season 12?
A: First of all: Season 12. How many Indie companies in NYC can boast that they are going into Season 12? That's just phenomenal!

Q: How have you seen the ensemble, including yourself, evolve?
A: I think everyone involved has brought something to RSP. In terms of my own evolution - much has happened since Akia and I first met (ten years!). I'm certainly more grounded (comes with being older), less paranoid (comes with being older), and really love my place in the theatre world (comes with being older).

Q: What do you do outside of RSP?
A: I am a lecturer at the University of Georgia. I teach dramatic writing and theatre appreciation classes. I am also a member of the Graduate Faculty, and I've delivered papers at ATHE, ASTR, MATC, and Theatre Symposium. I continue to write plays. Some have had productions, some have had readings, and some have been published. Feel free to give me a visit: www.johnpatrickbray.webs.com

Q: Favorite Memory or experience in RSP?
A: Some things should just not be put in print. ;)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment