Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Meet Maggie!


Meet:  Maggie Kissinger
Q: How long have you been involved with Rising Sun Performance Company?
A: I was one of the dramaturgy interns last summer and was accepted into the ensemble in December!

Q: What is your primary role with RSP?
A: I am an actor and the Literary Associate.

Q: Why is RSP your artistic home?
A: RSP is my artistic home because of the people and the work we do. I have so much fun working with the wonderful people involved with RSP! I love working on new plays with are resident playwrights, creating new works as an ensemble and producing off-beat plays that help us to grow creatively and intellectually.

Q: What was your favorite RSP Show or Role? Why?
A: I absolutely loved working on BUG by Tracy Letts. There was so much history to dig up and lots of interesting contextual elements with the characters and setting. It was a dramaturg's dream. I also learned a lot from my co-dramaturg intern working on that show. And then once we put it up, all of the blood and violence was fantastic.

Q: What are you looking forward to seeing/ experiencing with RSP?
A: I am looking forward to continue developing 'Henry's Wives', our ensemble-created play on the lives of Henry VIII's six wives.

Q: What are you excited about for Season 12?
A: I'm excited to work with all of our new ensemble members!

Q: How have you seen the ensemble, including yourself, evolve?
A: I have personally evolved a lot over the past year. I've learned so much about dramaturgy through my internship and now working in the literary department. I've grown a lot more confident in my abilities. I've seen a couple of my fellow ensemble members become more confident in their individual roles as well and I've got to see new staff come on and really help the company to continue to progress.

Q: What do you do outside of RSP?
A: Outside of RSPC I am a student at Hofstra University, going into my senior year. I'm studying Drama and Speech Communications. I have been and continue to work as the dramaturg on a department show every semester. I'm the dramaturg for Sam Sheperd's 'A Lie of the Mind' going up in the beginning of October so I'm knee deep in research for that right now! I also work at Hofstra Admissions as a tour guide, and absolutely love it. Walking around and talking about how awesome Hofstra is a perfect job for me.

Q: Favorite Memory or experience in RSP?
A: This is hard because pretty much everything I've done with RSPC is my favorite experience. I would have to say my favorite experience so far has been our Literary team meetings that started this summer. Tim, the Literary Manager, Gianfranco and Megan, our literary interns, Cassidy, our Company Management intern who just loves dramaturgy - which is awesome, and I get together every other week and talk about dramaturgy. It's amazing. We read a play, whip up a little dramaturgical presentation and discuss! We've read 'Hamlet', 'Hippolytus' and 'Phaedra' (each chose Seneca or Racine's) and now we're each reading a play based on 'Hippolytus'. Our sessions are so much fun and I am learning an incredible amount about dramaturgy.

No comments:

Post a Comment